Thursday, October 24, 2013

131024 What Kind of Hunter?

I often wonder just what kind of hunter I am. I watch outdoor shows that characterize the hunter as a guy ready to kill anything breathing. Whereas, I see myself as the guy who is amazed at the survival skills of the prey I stalk and will only kill what I will eat. Am I being a whimp? Should I shoot the deer who does not perceive me as a threat because some misguided animal lover thought it a good idea to feed the animal whenever possible? At this point, the answer is no. I will not shoot an animal corrupted by human ignorance. However, I will attempt to reintroduce the prey/predator concept. I know that my hunting buddies would not hesitate to shoot a trusting animal. I see my role as the animal's guardian and protector. An odd perspective for sure. HoweverN I find myself trying to make sure that all of the requirements for sustaing the animal and its decendants are in place and properly cared for. I would not hesitate to report the poacher . I would try to educate the misguided do-gooder who try to domestcate wild animals. I speak out against those who are rapidly destroying the habitat that the animals need for survival. And I take my long bow and wooden aarows into the field with the hope of harvesting one of these wonderful beast for personal consumption. Yes, I see myself more as the type of hunter represented in Native American traditional lore. I only take from the earth what I need and always give back more. This my way of helping to keep nature in balance for future generations to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment